The End of the World

Michael Marsh preached last Sunday about the end of the world, according to Jesus, and how at various times in our life we face an end to our world.

Think about a day your world ended and you will recall it most intensely in your gut and in your heart. On that day the stars no longer pointed the way and the sun offered no light or warmth. Your mind was filled with confusion, your heart with distress, and you were scared to death.

His words here reminded me of how I felt last summer. The Summer of the Hornets. But Marsh says that what seems an end is also a beginning.

The end of our world is not a time to fall down or hang our heads in despair. It is, Jesus says, a time to stand up and raise our heads in expectation and hope.

Expectation and hope. I like that. Michael Marsh has become a spiritual mentor to me.

About these ads
This entry was posted in Sermons and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to The End of the World

1. JLS says:

I wonder if the timing of Michael Marsh’s topic, the end of the world, is at all linked with the societal fascination/fear of the Mayan calendar which reaches an end point on Dec. 21, 2012. Some have interpreted the end of the calendar as the end of the world. And some, more Marshian in their thinking, see it as the end of an age, with inherent hope in the coming of the next age. I trust that there will be new beginnings and that God will guide us through.

2. Chris says:

I had not thought of the link to the Mayan calendar. Good observation. Marsh is taking his cue from the Sunday lectionary, which in Advent is apocalyptic and end if the worldish. I like the word Marshian, by the way.

3. marshmk says:

I was really just following the lectionary and had not thought about the Mayans. I too like the word Marshian. Thank you!

4. Douglasah says:

If I’m not mistaken, the Mayan calendar is round, indicative of a cyclic or repetitive event (much like the face of an anolog clock) leading us to beginnings/endings in the same moments.

5. Chris says:

Your sermons feed my soul, Michael. Thank you.

6. mike says:

…i listened to a preacher on ‘coast to coast AM’ the other nite who says we will be involved in World War 3 within a few months and 1/3 of the worlds population will be soon after extinguished. A caller on the show made the point that if the end was near then why are Christians so alarmed?..they should be celebrating and welcoming the advent of The End. A good point i think.